Heart problems, like all the other forms of diseases, usually arise when people do not make the smart choice of taking care of themselves. There are different heart diseases, the most common of which is when plaque starts building up in the vessels thereby blocking them. The others being related with higher blood pressure, heart not being able to pump or fill blood and oxygen properly, or if there is an abnormality in the heart from birth. All the diseases have different names. Coronary Heart Disease, Cardiac Arrest, Arrhythmia, Congenital heart disease, etc.
There are some important measures a person must begin taking as early as possible to be able to stay safe from heart diseases. From taking care of cholesterol levels, to blood pressure, to the diet, it all matters. Right from the teenage.
Below is a list of measures a person of any age group can take to stay safe from heart diseases.
- Diet: A healthy diet is always important in keeping oneself fit. Consumption of right amounts of proteins, vitamins through whole grains, fruits and vegetables is essential. It is well known that excessive consumption of fats, carbohydrate, through food that contains hydrogenated ingredients, is essentially harmful and must be avoided for the wellness of your heart and body as a whole.
- Say ‘NO’ to tobacco: Tobacco is fundamentally extremely harmful for the heart and body in general. In addition to the not less known fact about Tobacco being one of the major causes for cancer, it can also make your heart weak. Quitting tobacco consumption can reduce the risk of heart stroke or any heart problem for that matter, by 50% in just a year.
- Blood Pressure: It’s usually the higher levels of blood pressure that cause heart problems. What is worse is that there are no visible symptoms for high blood pressure as such. The only way one can know is by keeping regular tabs on their blood pressure. The numbers are important. If your blood pressure is consistently higher, reducing mental stress, doing regular exercises and taking prescribed medications, in extreme cases as and when doctor says so, can help.
- Cholesterol: Higher cholesterol in the blood causes more plaque build up in the arteries and vessels, thus increasing the risk of a heart attack. To get cholesterol levels checked, one can consult a doctor for blood tests. Including Red wine, Oats, Salmon Fish, etc. in the diet can prove itself beneficial in reducing cholesterol level. Limiting alcohol consumption can do wonders as well.
- Relax: Mental stress can not only prove itself vicious for heart, but for the entire body. Keeping oneself free from stress might sound difficult, but it is far from impossible. The body needs rest, and enough time, to interact with the surroundings. So does the mind. Regular exercises, healthy diet, enough time to yourself, hanging out with people you like, chilling around after work, can help one relax.
These are the few measures one can take to prevent any heart disease at any age. Even if one exercises regularly, and thinks of themselves as completely healthy, they are still at risk for heart diseases. Therefore, regular checkups are important.